WELCOME! Come on and have a seat on my porch swing or would you rather go for a ride on a vintage bike? Feel free to have yourself a look around my blog. You'll find all kinds of goodies, from cookin' to farmin', to craftin', to just plain ole fun. Just look through the archives or click on one of the topics of interest to see posts related to whatever your little heart desires. You can also click on THE BAKERY header on this page to go to the most current post.

Friday, September 24, 2010

My Attempt at Making Homemade Noodles w/ Goat Milk

On Wednesdays at our church, we offer a variety of classes.
The classes are usually 8 weeks long.
This season, they offered a canning and cooking class.
Canning has always scared me for some reason....don't ask me why...I guess
all the horror stories of the pressure cooker injuries did it.
The first week, we made jalapeno jelly....which sounded quite disgusting to me
until I tried it.
The 2nd week, we made homemade noodles.
Our teacher, Missy, has a small homestead farm.
I kid you not, they butcher their own chickens!
They also raise goats for milk.
After you mix to a crumbly consistency:
3 c. flour
2 beaten eggs
1 tsp. baking powder
You add 3/4 - 1 c. of milk...we used goat milk.
Then you GET YOUR HANDS REALLY MESSY!
You mix and mix and squish and squish
until it is a good dough that bounces back when
you poke it.
You divide the dough into 3 equal balls.
and begin rolling it out on a floured surface.
ROLL IT TO PAPER THIN CONSISTENCY.
At this point, we transferred it to our cookie sheets to take
home and finish the process.
If you are already at home, you just leave it there to dry overnight.
You can cut the noodles while wet or wait until dry.
Once dried, break to appropriate size and either use in meal or freeze.
There are MANY MANY videos on youtube.com that show you
how to make noodles.
One thing we noticed....we all went home with "flour bellies".
Flour belly #2
Flour belly #3
Flour belly #4
Flour belly #5
Here is my dough at home.....waiting to dry......
TAH DAH!!! This is a one gallon bag...I made thin and thick noodles.
So, it made about a 1/2 gallon bag of noodles.
It was quite simple and I am sure after practice, I will get it down and they will
be much prettier....
Next week, we are making homemade spaghetti sauce....WHEEEE!!!


3 comments:

Unknown said...

They look yummy! I'm going to have to try it, minus the goat milk! =)

The Gaelic Wife said...

Are you saving the noodles to eat with next week's sauce? Let us know if there's a difference in taste using goat's milk. And about those flour bellies, I'll send you an apron for Christmas.

Glitter & Bliss said...

Looks yummy!! Hello to you!!! So glad you left a comment. I am so glad that you are doing well and "Living the Good Life." Your blog is so much fun. I love your Halloween background. Fun...Fun..Fun.. I just wish our Oklahoma wheather would cool off. I'm so ready for fall.

Want to Read More???

Related Posts with Thumbnails