WELCOME! Come on and have a seat on my porch swing or would you rather go for a ride on a vintage bike? Feel free to have yourself a look around my blog. You'll find all kinds of goodies, from cookin' to farmin', to craftin', to just plain ole fun. Just look through the archives or click on one of the topics of interest to see posts related to whatever your little heart desires. You can also click on THE BAKERY header on this page to go to the most current post.

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Have You Been Touched by Cancer?

Our family has had its run of cancer...as have many other families.
Supporting our local Relay for Life is important.
Our town used to have a HUGE event in which we participated in each year.
One year, we won with the theme, "How the Breast was Won".
We all wore pink cowgirl hats, pink guns, pink shirts, and pink bandannas.
We even had a small western jail....so cute.
Now, it doesn't seem near as big....but still raises a lot of money for research.

Here is Julie, my middle sister. She had throat cancer about 2 years ago.
In the middle, is my mom just finished chemo for colon cancer.
On the right is Bonnie, my mother-in-law who is a breast cancer survivor.
Yay! They are SURVIVORS against the FIGHT AGAINST CANCER!

Here they all are during their introductions.


This is the Survivor Lap...the first lap of Relay for Life is walked by the survivors.

This is Madeline, she had liver cancer as a baby. She is now 17 years old.
A small world is that she did not live in our town at the time....but, my friend, Barbie, was her nurse! They were able to meet up again at CHURCH where they both attend now! What are the chances they would ever meet again?


Madeline is a SURVIVOR!

There go the survivors!

I have NO IDEA who these ladies are....I just know that they were WONDERFUL! I need to find out the name of their group. They did the barber shop style singing....

Mom and Julie w/ the Survivor cake that was served at their dinner!
Please make sure you support research for cancer....we are ALL affected by this terrible disease in one way or another.
I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!


6 comments:

Dana and Daisy said...

We've lost so many lives too early to cancer in my family. It is nice to be reminded that so many are surviving it. To all the survivor's hip hip hooray!

Summer Rains said...

That is so wonderful to see! Thank you so much for sharing. I didn't even realize that Bonnie and Madeline were survivors as well.
I lost my mom to cancer and I pray that more and more people will become survivors until there is a cure!

That Crazy Ajumma said...

We just had a Relay for life Marathon Walk here about 3 weeks ago.I didn't participate in the walk itself but...get this...My hubby has a daughter from a girlfriend about 4 or 5 yrs before we met and his ex and I have become good friends.She asked if I would make something for a prize for this and I was more than happy to do so.Her Pastors daughter won.

SaChay said...

My Husband and I went to our local relay for life event yesterday also. His workplace always raises a lot of money and have neat themes every year. One year it was "Knock Out Cancer" and they had Boxing gloves and boxing style theme for there tent and such. One year they had a 70's theme. Everyone always dresses up, and the give out lots of free food. This year, my husband's good friend and coworker dressed up and done balloon animals and magic shows, it was a big hit! We have attended every year since we were married. Its always so much FUN and a GREAT cause!

Farmchick said...

Wow--that's awesome! See the survivors brings tears to my eyes. Hope you have a sweet Sunday.:)

Unknown said...

I hope to do this next year...I have cancer on both sides of my family - my FIL beat prostate cancer just a couple of years ago. The funding for research is SO important!

Want to Read More???

Related Posts with Thumbnails