WELCOME! Come on and have a seat on my porch swing or would you rather go for a ride on a vintage bike? Feel free to have yourself a look around my blog. You'll find all kinds of goodies, from cookin' to farmin', to craftin', to just plain ole fun. Just look through the archives or click on one of the topics of interest to see posts related to whatever your little heart desires. You can also click on THE BAKERY header on this page to go to the most current post.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

When Should You Call the Police?


When your DAUGHTER discovers a DEAD BODY!!!
Yep, you read it right....my YOUNGEST daughter discovered a body in the hotel we were staying at while attending the fair! Before I tell you the story, NO, she is not traumatized....she was actually mostly curious. Now, I don't know if life on a farm hardens you to the fact of life and death or not....but she clearly was not FREAKED OUT by it.
Ok, on with the story....on Sunday night, we went to a restaurant to eat...of course...took the usual side trip to Wal-Mart to get ME some drugs for the raging sinuses. (Yep, almost every show I get a severe attack of allergies)
After the trip to Wal-Mart, my husband dropped me off at the hotel and then went back to the fairgrounds to check the animals. On his way to the truck, he passed a window with the curtains open, but the sheer curtains were closed....he noticed a guy lying on the floor. He also noted that he was lying on something that HE thought was a GIANT heating pad. So, after looking, he comments that "that guy is either passed out drunk or DEAD"!
Now, fast forward to 6:00 in the morning....they go down to breakfast before heading to the fairgrounds. After eating, my daughter heads back to the room....which means walking right by the SAME window. She noticed him on the floor. Ok, the curiosity got the best of her and she backed up and stared into the window....
She even lowered herself to see UNDER the curtain....to see if the guy was ASLEEP. That is when she noticed he had a stream of blood coming from his mouth and his eyes were slightly open.
THEN SHE SAW THE GUN BESIDE HIM!!!
She couldn't convince her dad to go look...so, she goes to the next logical person....ANOTHER KID! Of course he goes with her....and they both determine that the guy is REALLY DEAD.
Finally, she convinces her dad to have a look....YEP, he was definitely DEAD.
They go to the hotel manager and the rest is history.....
Apparently, he was from a different town and completely planned this. The HEATING PAD was bubble wrap...so he wouldn't make a mess. The design on his SHIRT was really BLOOD...my daughter didn't realize this. He had shot himself in the heart. He must have died pretty instantly because he wasn't in the fetal position and didn't look like he had rolled around in pain.
How do I know this? Because the cops let me in to look....I know, I'm morbid....actually they would have let me take pictures....I'M NOT THAT MORBID.
I prayed for the man and his family. I prayed for the children that found him. I prayed for the police. I also prayed for the VERY DISTRAUGHT housekeeper who would have found him if my daughter hadn't done what she did.
So, the moral of the story is.....
....if you are on the ground dying, you'd better hope my dear hubby doesn't walk by you!!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

well, I'm traumatized now! You can always stay with us when visiting OKC. Hopefully our dead bodies are well hidden. Ewww!!

Anonymous said...

Okaaayyyy......I worked in the hotel sales business for YEARS and NEVER found a anyone who had died. They did the right thing by reporting it as quickly as possible.

Sounds like your trip was eventful.

Nanette

Chasity said...

I'm so glad your daughter wasn't traumatized. I think if I had discovered that I would have had nightmares for the rest of my life.

Unknown said...

WOW! What a trip - not one you will likely forget, huh? YUCK!

Continued prayers for your mom...hope she is well.

Liisa said...

OH MY GOODNESS! Really that is all I can say - OH MY GOODNESS!

Blessings,
Liisa

Just Wedeminute said...

Traci boy are you "living the good life" or what? You had your own CSI drama at the fair....glad you are all ok but that poor man and his family. So sad.

Farmchick said...

ohhhhkay! I would be totally traumatized by that....I wouldn't be able to stop thinking about the man and his family!!! Glad you all are doing okay and will say a prayer for your Mom's recovery. Welcome back!!!!

That Crazy Ajumma said...

Wow Traci!
How old is your daughter?
That's kinda scary and creepy.
Wonder what was so awful that the only alternative was taking his life...sad.

The Vintage Kitten said...

That is some story! I thought it was going to be a joke. How awful to come across someone like that. It sounds like your daughter has taken it in her stride and was very calm and collected considering the situation. When we had a dog Mr K always said he hoped he never came across a body in the undergrowth...how many dog walkers have found bodies?? loads. At least he did it quickly without fuss. Years ago my mams friend came across someone trying to commit suicide off a bridge, tried to talk them down but they jumped, she was in a state for months after because she felt responsible for not saving them.

Summer Rains said...

Whoa!!! Sounds like Reagan to be totally curious and not grossed out. What a freaky trip! PS-Glad you didn't take pics of the dead guy, I'd have to worry about you :)

OkieDebbie said...

Ok, you have to be living one of the most interesting lives of anybody I know!! Not just with this, but of course, this definitely tops alot of things... Im glad Reagan is not traumitized and handling this ok!

Caitlin said...

Wowie! I can't believe that your daughter wasn't upset! This must not be the same one that was scared of the skeleton in the closet? I'm glad that she noticed!
ps I would have gone in to look too

Anonymous said...

OH, MY GOSH! Wonder why he left the curtains open? Hoping someone besides DB would find him and maybe make him change his mind???

Want to Read More???

Related Posts with Thumbnails