WELCOME! Come on and have a seat on my porch swing or would you rather go for a ride on a vintage bike? Feel free to have yourself a look around my blog. You'll find all kinds of goodies, from cookin' to farmin', to craftin', to just plain ole fun. Just look through the archives or click on one of the topics of interest to see posts related to whatever your little heart desires. You can also click on THE BAKERY header on this page to go to the most current post.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Homemade Fire Pit for Practically NOTHING

For at least 2 years, I've been pestering my husband to make a simple fire pit in the backyard. I just wanted to sit around a fire in the cool evenings and RELAX.

Our backyard faces the west and we see some beautiful sunsets.

Back in November, we visited a cousin who had a simple one in their backyard.

This finally inspired my husband!

I knew I needed an edge in the ground or our lovely dogs would think we just started a hole for them to continue until they found China.

My husband can weld, so he checked prices of metal.....OUCH!

So, I did the next best redneck thing.....TRACTOR WHEEL!



Thanks to Dennis for finding us a super cheap ($24.00) NEW rim....hee hee...heard it even has a warranty. Think if it burns, it will count in the warranty?

We live near a lake. People who build their homes near the lake have ROCKS...a lot of rocks free for the picking.

So, we headed to the nearest "pick your own" rocks place...aka Shorty and Angie's and picked our rocks.


I really need to start drawing my ideas, because no one really understood how simple I was trying to make this fire pit. They thought I was going to make an elaborate patio of rocks.....I THINK NOT!

They thought we wanted BOULDERS...which they would have gladly supplied.


I just wanted platter sized rocks to "hide" the redneck tractor rim that was sticking up out of the ground.

Did I mention that we pretty much dug the hole deep enough to fit TWO rims in?

So, we got to add the dirt back.

We have had terrible wind conditions lately.....we had to seize the moment of no wind before we could start a fire!

We left a birthday party early just so we could rush home and see if the fire pit would work....

IT WORKED!

We made S'mores!

LIFE IS GOOD!


11 comments:

Dana and Daisy said...

ha ha! good idea! We made a fire pit at the cabin, pretty much the same way except no tractor rim. sometimes we try to make things so complicated when they could be so easy! what a great lesson. BTW, I tried to explain this notion to our landscaper for our city house... just a ring of rocks around some dirt that we can build a fire in... he thought I was kuhrazy! I guess he was never a boyscout.

Julie said...

Joe would love the fire pit. I'll have to show him your idea. You're so creative.

Territory Mom said...

OMG so perfect!!!!

Drama Momma said...

I love this! I want one now! Let's see, I can dig the hole, now where to find a good ole' tractor wheel haha??

carolina nana said...

A little imagination goes along way,it is amazing what you can do with tractor tires and rims. I use tractor tires for planters,they work great. Have a blessed evening. MArilyn

Just Wedeminute said...

Oh, how fun and what a clever, clever girl you are...girl, woman, you know what I mean!

Kim said...

Love it!

Decor To Adore said...

Oh what a fantastic DIY project. You are one clever and creative gal.

I finally finished a project I have been working on for 23 years.

Pop on by.

Unknown said...

This is so funny. Yesturday I was outside with the hubby trying to decide what to do with our firepit. It is piece of 3' diameter culvert that you would put in a ditch to drive over, you know. Anyway, it is sticking out of the ground with nothing around it and I told my hubby, "Why don't we just go pick some rocks and pile them around it." He says, "That won't work and it will look dumb." Well he will be looking at this when he gets home from work. Thank you for helping me prove my point. Yours looks great.
Brooke

Wendy said...

Turned out great! I love fire pits as I am a sucker for s'mores :)

Friend of God said...

Found your post while searching for ideas for my redneck tractor rim fire pit. I love yours! After looking for weeks, finally found a tractor rim yesterday at a junk yard for $10. My husband really didn't understand how simple I wanted ours to be either. We are headed to Lowe's in the a.m. to buy retainer stones. He thinks it needs to be "fancier". Add to shopping list: S'more ingredients.

Want to Read More???

Related Posts with Thumbnails