WELCOME! Come on and have a seat on my porch swing or would you rather go for a ride on a vintage bike? Feel free to have yourself a look around my blog. You'll find all kinds of goodies, from cookin' to farmin', to craftin', to just plain ole fun. Just look through the archives or click on one of the topics of interest to see posts related to whatever your little heart desires. You can also click on THE BAKERY header on this page to go to the most current post.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Diner Baskets Make ANYTHING Taste Better


I got these at Wal-Mart of all places....wasn't thrilled that they were made in China, but I also have a hard time finding vintage ones that aren't really greasy!
I paid $3.00 for 4 baskets.
They came with paper liners....12, I think.
I bought more liners when I got them clearanced for $1.00.
I wanted more baskets, but they were all gone...sniff, sniff.

I oven fry the fries.....
Pre-Heat oven to 425 degrees.

I have a really cool vintage french fry cutter...It looks like this one I found on etsy.com. Mine has a red handle though.
After slicing the potatoes WITH SKINS ON, I put them in a bowl and drizzle with enough olive oil to coat and then sprinkle whatever dry seasoning I'm in the mood for over the top.
Using my hands, I mix the potatoes, oil and seasoning all up to make sure the fries are coated.
I dump them onto a non-stick cookie sheet in single layer and bake for about 40 minutes.....turning the fries at least two times during cooking.
They come out just as crispy as if they were fried.
Now, go make you some!!!

2 comments:

Farmchick said...

lol...very cute....I make the same kind of fries and I have the same cutter too..though i don't always use it. I believe I have a recipe on my blog for oven fries.....Love the baskets...I don't have any of those...YET! Ummmm....HELLLO....stop over and visit soon!

carla said...

The oven fries sound good - I think I'll try them.

The baskets remind me of a conversation that my husband and I had last week. We drove by an old-fashioned greasy looking hamburger stand in Denton, Texas (it has been there since the 1950s). I asked Joe if he ever had a steak basket. He said "no". I hadn't either. Nobody I knew would spend that much on a meal back then at a hamburger joint. Steak baskets probably cost $1.50 or so back then. Wow. Too much money! haha

Want to Read More???

Related Posts with Thumbnails